Social Skills Training for Success

No man is an island, and there is a basic need for us to interact and communicate with others. Having excellent social skills will be able to help you survive the social requirements that we face every day, from the casual to family and business situations.

Most people face barriers when placed in a social situation, and are unable to interact effectively or with confidence. This is where social skills training comes into the picture, helping you to make the most of these situations to form interpersonal relationships.

What are some of the biggest obstacles that most people face? By understanding yourself better, you will be able to overcome the challenges that you face actively. The most common factors that prohibit your social skills are a lack of self-confidence and the fear of being judged and found wanting by others. By following the tips below, you will find yourself better able to widen your social circles and improve your relationships with others.

Develop Self Confidence

If you find your knees knocking together when called upon to address a group of people, you are likely to be lacking in self-confidence. To improve on your confidence, you need to take small steps to overcome this fear by speaking to people you don’t know.

Try smiling and saying a quick “hi” to your neighbors on your way to work, or the person in line behind you when you pick up your coffee. Eliminate negative thoughts about yourself, and look confident. Dress well, and you should find that it gives you an added confidence boost to speak to strangers.

Be a Good Conversationalist

Most people keep silent in group discussions as they feel inadequate on the subject on hand, or fear rejection of their ideas. This goes beyond confidence and depends on your preparation. Broaden your horizon, read the papers every day, and take an interest in current affairs.

Social Skills Training for Success
Being social

This will increase your ability to contribute your opinion regarding the topic at hand. Listen actively to the conversation flow around you, so that you will not be caught repeating what has already been expressed. It will also make you better able to add to the conversation by volunteering new perspectives and opinions.

Tone and Body Language

Less than 10% of actual communication is based on what you say. This leaves over 90% of the connection to the tone of your voice and your body language. Are you crossing your arms in front of you as you listen? Is your foot tapping away as someone else speaks? All these are signs that you are not looking or impatiently waiting for the speaker to be done.

Try to curb yourself from displaying such body language and replace them with signs that you are paying attention to, such as nodding your head when the speaker makes a point you agree with. This will help you to engage your company to listen when it’s your turn to speak.

The development of social skills is crucial to your personal development, whether on an individual or professional level. By paying attention and improving on these three aspects, you will find yourself no longer dreading attending social functions.

Interested in building good business relationships? Read this.